Search This Blog

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Don't listen to me

I have been lucky in life, not smart but lucky. I was born and grew up in this country and have always known the privileges that come with my citizenship. My privileges are rights, but not having to fight for them like some have before me and you and before I was born, but regardless of how lucky I am, I do and always will take them seriously. It doesn't matter if you are of a different color, gay, strait whatever we all have rights, these are not granted by those who have the monopoly of power (also known as government). People in other countries don't enjoy the the rights that we have in this country except for the maybe some of the privileged few in those countries. It's time we listened to those people who have lived in those areas of the world and were lucky enough to tell the tales of what It's like to live without rights. I don't want to be the guy 40 years from now giving a similar speech that this gentleman gave to our senators last Friday. Now it is time to get off of our privileged asses and fight for our rights before we really need to fight for our rights.
http://strimedia.com/2013/04/08/you-dont-know-what-freedom-is-cuban-refugee-to-oregon-senate-committee/

No comments:

Post a Comment